Friday, June 25, 2010

My Take on Social Networking

I have to give you a readers digest's condensed version of my take on social networking.

When I first thought about signing up for a Facebook account, I was very hesitant. I couldn't see how it would benefit me. I thought it would do nothing but take up my time. And, if it was something that my kids are doing, is it really for me?

Well, I ended up taking the plunge and some really cool experiences have happened. It did take a while to get used to it, and it can take an awful lot of time, if you're willing to let it. When I first started out, it felt kind of weird to "chime in" on other people's conversations. However, you soon come to realize that's what it's all about!

So I jumped in with both feet and started getting to know people. I have met a lot of people in the drapery industry and have had many great conversations! Some of them I have met in person and some I haven't, but you feel like you know them all equally well. You also learn that there are some people that you seem to really "click" with.

Not too long ago, one of my Facebook friends invited me to visit her in Oklahoma over the 4th of July. I was astounded to even be invited! At this point it felt like "internet dating". :) She is definitely one of the friends that I "click" with and I am totally excited to not only meet her, but to spend a week getting to know her. I know that we'll have many stories to share and I think that we're both totally nuts! And believe me - that's a good thing.

So, as of this coming Tuesday, I'm headed out for Oklahoma and will be gone for a full week. I'm not taking my laptop, as I want to totally disconnect and enjoy my time. I know that I'm in the process of building a fantastic friendship that will last a very long time and I can't wait to get started!

I hope you all have a wonderful 4th and I'll be back afterwards with some great pictures to share

3 comments:

hudsondebb said...

Annie, that's great!
I hope you have a great week off and enjoy yourself.
"Internet dating" LOL you're funny!

Anonymous said...

Annie,

I hope you have a great time with your friend. I am in complete agreement with you on social networking. I love that I get to keep in touch with all the great people I've met in our industry like you.

Lisa

Unknown said...

That is so exciting Annie; look forward to your pics upon your return! Enjoy the time to yourself.. with friends!

Sarah