Saturday, June 19, 2010

Happy Father's Day to my Dad

As we think of celebrating Father's Day this weekend, of course I think of my dad. I'm very blessed that he is still a part of my life. As I look back at what I know of his life, it has always revolved around music. Here is a picture of him playing a saxophone with a band back in about 1948 - before I was ever born.



After I was born, the things that I most remember about my dad, is that he was still always playing with a band. Him and my mom opened a music store when I was 3 years old, and I spent 8 years of my life in that store most every single day from open to close. He was also a disc jockey and worked at numerous radio stations over the years, even one owned by baseball Hall of Famer Bob Gibson! Every memory of my dad is music related in some way or another. Here is a more recent picture, taken about 1998, with his guitar, fondly dubbed Mickey Mouse. This is the instrument that I remember him playing the most, even though I don't think that there isn't any instrument that he cannot play.
This year, my dad turned 83 years old. Even now, he spends numerous days each month going to nursing homes and entertaining the senior citizens of Omaha. My boys both tease him that he is playing to people younger than himself, and in many cases he is.
I'm not sure how long my dad will be around to enjoy, but I do know that the music will live on. My son Levi is a bass player and my younger son Noah is a guitar player. I might be prejudiced, but they are both extremely talented. They both play in bands and love to entertain a crowd. We definitely know where they get it from.
Thanks Dad and Happy Father's Day!
I Love you!

No comments: