Friday, April 30, 2010

Getting out of the box

I don't know about anyone else, but as a workroom, I find myself in a box. Sometimes I don't even realize it, but oh, I am there!

Last weekend, I went to a mini-family reunion of sorts where quite a few family members got together to make Christmas table runners for everyone in the family who was interested. This is my mom's side of the family, and it is filled with very artistic people!

Every once in a while, when meeting with this side of the family, I use it as a good time to get rid of old scraps of fabric that have been laying around for years. When I see these fabrics in my workroom, all I can think of are window treatments, pillows, etc - the things that I work with on a daily basis. Well, last weekend, I looked outside of the box! A couple of cousins brought projects for "show and tell". They had taken some of the scraps that I had given them quite some time ago and added other things and came up with some really cool tote bags! I was so shocked to see what they had done. Why didn't I think of that???

Wow - I don't know why it's so hard for me to get out of this box, but when I do, it really gets the juices flowing. This weekend, the plan is to see if I can pull together some of what I have laying around and see if I can work the magic that they did - good thing I took pictures to help me remember how they did it.

If it works, I'll post pictures of what I come up with.

Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

hudsondebb said...

Annie, my brain is always crammed full of stuff I want to sew besides window treatments! But so little spare time.
Maybe we should have a workroom "think outside the box" challenge.